Growing up, my family consisted of my mom, my dad, my brother and me. Sports is really what kept us all together through the years, whether it was fishing, football, baseball or golf.
Last year, I broke my foot. And for the first time in several years, I missed out annual golf outing. My place was giving to one of my brother’s friends. I guess I never really appreciated how much I enjoyed it. Because as the day came and went, I was sad the entire day knowing that I had missed out. My family missed me too.
This year, my foot is healed and my clubs are polished and ready to go. We will have our night at the links again!
(This post brought to you care of the Spin Cycle.)
It’s Tuesday again. I know, I was surprised too. Keely told me though, so I know it is true.
* I am still waiting for the approval to have my “Collapsed Nasal Valves” fixed. So, the Gnome has not left yet and he is still quite comfy.
* We watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs the other night. The kids all want to have a spaghetti tornado. Not one of them eats spaghetti so I don’t have any idea why they would want this. But they do.
* Fighting with my girls is my least favorite past time. I hate it so much that usually, when I have to talk to them about something it is written all over my face. They know I am going to talk to them even before I open my mouth. I think I like it that way.
It’s Tuesday again. Grab a badge, share some snarky and go see Keely. Unless you want her to use her mad ninja skills and hunt you down.
* Did you know that celebrities are way more important than we are? No? Well, read the news.
* The Tyrant was watching her sisters act like fools the other day. She placed her head in her palm and shook her head. With a big sigh, she said, “I MUST be adopted.”
Sorry, kid, you are not… and you are stuck with them.
* I made deal with the Mother Hen. Good grades = Supernatural on DVD. She then asked me how long she had to have the good grades before she got them…
WickedStepMom: For the semester.
Mother Hen: Crap!
* The Show came to me at 8:15pm at Saturday…
The Show: Can drive me to my friend’s house?
The Show: Now?
WickedStepMom: Are you insane?
The Show: What?
WickedStepMom: I am not driving you a 1/2 hour to pick you up 15 minutes later.
The Show: Well, yeah, I was hoping you would let me stay out until midnight.
WickedStepMom: (sighs, nods) Yeah, I thought so. You are completely insane…
The Show: (Stomps off in a huff.)
It’s not you… it’s Amazon. They made a Kindle app for the PC. It’s not the I am neglecting you, I just love my Kindle more. I will see you in a few months. Please make sure you don’t leave your dirty socks in the living room and that your dishes make it to the sink.
(P. S. Please read this with the sarcasm that it is dripping with.)
As recommend by jwoap, I made this on Saturday
PREP: 5 minutes
ROAST: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need:
1/4 cup apricot preserves (or apricot fruit spread)
2 Tbsp country-style Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, chopped
2 pork tenderloins, 1 lb each
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spritz a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine preserves, mustard, and rosemary in a small bowl.
3. Place tenderloins on baking sheet (leave about 2 inches of space between them); brush each with the apricot mixture.
4. Roast for 30 minutes, or until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 150°F.
5. Remove from oven, and let stand 5 minutes before slicing diagonally.
4 out of 5 tribe members loved it. The other one said “I just ate it so I wouldn’t hurt your feelings.” That is it, I am making asparagus!
P.S. – This was absolutely delicious!!
It’s that time again. It is time to get all of your randomness, spew it out in some sort of coherent sentences and send it to Keely. She will probably not love and treasure it but she will atleast let you put your site in Mr. Linky, who will love you no matter what you did last night.
* The Wii Fit finally yelled at Bear! It said to him yesterday, “Have you seen [The Mother Hen] around? Per haps you should pay more attention to her.” I laughed until I cried.
* The Tyrant has said on numerous occasions that people “rub things in her face.” While I believed her, I never actually witnessed it happening until this weekend. The scene is my aunt’s driveway. The issue, both The Mother Hen and The Tyrant want to ride in the front seat.
The Mother Hen: Move, [The Tyrant], I am riding in front.
The Tyrant: It’s my turn.
The Mother Hen: I will get squished.
WickedStepMom: Both of you just get in the car.
The Tyrant gets in the back.
The Mother Hen: Ha! See, I told you! You are too, young and I will get squished.
WickedStepMom: Don’t worry, [The Tyrant], she has no problem sitting back there with her boyfriend. She will not sure this excuse again. Also, when we get home, The Mother Hen and I are going to have a little chat.
The Tyrant: Okay, [WickedStepMom], I know you will fix it. Thanks.
The Tyrant knew that her sister was going to get into trouble but didn’t taunt her about it. Part of me expected her to, especially after the way she was taunted. I am very proud of her for the way that she handled it.
* The Tyrant and The Show have been competing on the Wii Fit. It’s pretty funny to watch them both fight for a high score. About once a day, The Tyrant will shout and jump up and down yelling, “I won! I won!” Considering that there is a 4 year age difference this is a pretty big deal. The Show always congratulates her.
Keely, the zombie executioner, is not a slacker. I, however, am a huge slacker. I hope that my lethargy lately has not caused her to think I am a zombie.
* I am not sure what has gone on lately, but I have been in a writing slump. I have read other blogs and can think of nothing good, intelligent or funny to say. I almost feel like I should at least comment something like “WickedStepMom was here. She just can’t think of what to write today.” Then people would know that I stopped by. But, I would have to leave that same comment over and over. So, people would really start having a problem with me. ::sigh: Anyone have any ideas to get me out of the commentary slump?
* The wii fit and I are back to going steady. He is just really mouthly. The other day, I was trying a yoga pose (which I am not very good at because my balance stinks), and it says “You are pretty shaky! It’s hard to get the correct pose if your core muscles need work!” I just rolled my eyes and continued to try to keep my balance so I would not brain myself on the basement floor.
* My new ENT has been really wonderful. He is using the aggressive approach against my sinus gnome. He made me a special mix of nasal steroids that make my throat burn but the sinus gnome disappear.
* The Tribe has had a few ups and downs lately. I think it is partly because the holiday season is over and we are all back to a normal schedule. And there are no more presents to open. Settling back into the routine has been a little harder than normal. I am hoping that we all get back to ourselves soon.
* Two out of three of our girls are dating. I keep saying boys are icky but they don’t believe me. So, I am thinking that there may be ice cream and hugs in the near future for one of them. I just hope that the one left not dating doesn’t feel bad or feel left out.
* It is truly sad when our society is feeling so horrible about itself, that people have to literally get lost in a movie. We watched Avatar and thought the movie was pretty good. We were entertained and we left the theater after having a good time. To us, it was just another movie. But, I really think it says something about our world today when people out there honestly are having depression symptoms because they can not leave in a fantasy world. It says that we are doing something very wrong.
The Mother Hen: [WickedStepMom] you have to decorate cookies with us. You can’t leave that plate sitting over there with a bunch of naked cookies!
WickedStepMom: I made the cookies for your guys to decorate…
The Show: Yeah, but now, there are four plates, and we can’t have a plate of nudist cookies. It’s just not right! My entire holiday will be ruined because you have left the cookies naked!
The Tyrant: Yeah, I mean, you will get our cookies arrested and they will have to spend the night in cookie jail. I don’t want to eat jail-bird cookies!
The Tyrant than hurried to get the cookies dressed…
The following is a list of words and phrases that are overused by the girls. Sometimes, I think that if I hear them one more time, I will seriously lose my mind.
1. You are being a brat! – This actually means, you are not doing what I want you to do, so therefore you must be a brat.
2. You are/she is being annoying. – Again, this means you are not doing what I want you to do.
3. You are giving me a migraine! – See above.
4. ______ is nicer than you! – Again, see above.
5. This tastes funny. – In other words, I don’t want to eat it and I am trying to eliminate all possible responses such as statements of “you have liked it just fine before.”
6. That’s not fair! – Roughly translates to, I am not getting my way.
What about you? What are some overused phrases in your house?
* The Gnome that has moved into my sinuses has gotten very comfy in there. He just won’t leave. Maybe the ENT doc will find a way to get him out. If not, I think it will turn into nuclear warfare… and that just won’t be good for society as a whole. I mean, who wants nuclear winter over my sinuses?… Yeah, I didn’t think that you did. So, you’re welcome. But if this goes on too much longer, it is on, Mr. Gnome!
* Bear e-mailed me this morning. This is what he wrote:
[Bear's REALLY Annoying Co-Worker]~ said I was too “chipper” this morning and suggested that “If I didn’t know better, you got lucky!” I said luck had nothing to do with it…killing two homeless people with one shot is SKILL.
He didn’t laugh.
~Name changed to be more appropriate this his given name.
* Bear, like my mother, has a very defined set of taste buds. He does not like to deviate from the normal. (And he wonders why I can’t get The Tyrant to eat another other than tacos…) I told him that I was going to take The Mother Hen out for some mediterranean food.
Bear: You hate peas!
WickedStepMom: Chickpeas are different!
Bear: Chickpeas are just peas that stay home and watch chick flicks with Hugh Grant in them.
WickedStepMom: They taste different…
Bear: Chickpeas are just peas that “WANT TO BE HELD!”
(Can you see why I love him? He is seriously awesome and can always make me laugh.)
* The Mother Hen has a new boyfriend. He is an okay guy. The Show and The Tyrant like him, which is saying a lot. But, I just can’t seem to let my guard down. I think it is because I have seen boys make The Mother Hen cry. Stupid, stinky boys…
*The Tyrant looked at me this weekend, with daggers in her eyes. I wouldn’t let her have a new toy at the store (partly because I had already bought her stuff and partly because there has to be something under the tree). She stomped her foot and said, “Mommy is nicer than you.” I grinned, “She is also taller.” She just blinked at me.
* The Show is really excited about cheerleading. In order to make the varsity team, she needs to learn to do a back walk over. I have no idea how to do this, so I suggested she look up how to do it on YouTube. This was a bad, bad suggestion…